eighteenth Annual Meeting of the Association of Centers for the Study of Congress
Documenting Disruption and Division
May 4-6, 2021
ACSC’s first-ever virtual conference will offer quality presentations, member updates, and opportunities to connect with colleagues.
Annual Meeting Program
All times in Eastern Standard Time
Tuesday, May 4
1:00 pm. Welcome
Hope Bibens, President, ACSC
1:10 p.m. Session 1: Keynote Address
Dr. Theda Skocpol, Victor S. Thomas Professor of Government and Sociology at Harvard University
2:10 p.m. Break
2:30 p.m. Session 2: Congressional Research
Larry Tye, Demagogue: The Life and Long Shadow of Senator Joe McCarthy
Leandra Zarnow, Battling Bella: The Protest Politics of Bella Abzug
James Wyatt, Moderator
3:30 p.m. Break
3:45 p.m. Session 3: Member Update
5:00 p.m. Adjourn
Wednesday, May 5
1:00 p.m. Session 4: Former Member Panel 1
Former Senator and Ambassador Carol Moseley Braun (D-IL)
Betty Koed, Senate Historian, Interviewer/Moderator
2:00 p.m. Break
2:15 p.m. Session 5: Archives in Policy
ACSC members will discuss their archives around the policy area of environment and climate change.
- Kaylynn Washnock Stooksbury, Russell Library for Political Research and Studies, University of Georgia, exhibition, At War With Nature: The Battle to Control Pests in Georgia’s Forests, Fields, and Front Yards
- L. Rebecca Johnson Melvin, University of Delaware, intentional collecting
- Steve Hussman, University of Arizona, environmental legacy of Stewart Udall
- Julie Clover, Dole Institute of Politics, University of Kansas, research topic guide on environmental studies
- Michael Camp, independent researcher, Writing Environmental History Using U.S. Representative John Duncan’s Constituent Correspondence
3:15 p.m. Break
3:30 p.m. Session 6: Former Member Panel 2
Congresswoman Donna F. Edwards (D-MD) served in the U.S. House of Representatives for five terms, beginning with her win by special election in 2008 until her departure in 2017. The first African-American woman elected to Congress from Maryland, she spent her time in the House working to protect women from domestic violence and promoting health care reform. This session features Congresswoman Edwards in conversation with Kathleen Johnson, Oral History Manager in the Office of the House Historian.
Former Representative Donna F. Edwards (D-MD)
Kathleen Johnson, Interviewer/Moderator
4:30 p.m. Break
4:35 p.m. Session 7: Member Networking
Thursday, May 6
1:00 p.m. Session 8: Civic Education for American Democracy
Charles Flanagan, Outreach Supervisor, Center for Legislative Archives, NARA, Moderator
Val McVey, Civic Renewal Network
Natacha Scott, iCivics/EAD Roadmap
2 p.m. Break
2:15 p.m. Session 9: Civic Education for American Democracy Workshop
ACSC members will participate in a workshop designed to contribute ACSC member expertise and archival resources to civic education initiatives. Take a look at the EAD Roadmap to get the brainstorming started!
Danielle Emerling, Moderator
Facilitators: Rebecca Parmer, Mike Berry, Dawn Sueoka, Mary Goolsby, and Jody Brumage
- View session notes for each of the themes. For current information about the project, visit the project page.
3:30 p.m. Session 10: ACSC Business Meeting
- Please comment on the ACSC Operations Manual by June 11.
4:00 p.m. Closing Remarks
Hope Bibens, President, ACSC
ACSC offers an affordable learning and networking opportunity.
ACSC Members: free*
Guests of ACSC Institutional Members: free**
*ACSC members must log into the registration page to register for free.
**Administrators of Institutional Memberships may register guests for free following these instructions:
- Log into acsc.wildapricot.org
- Navigate to the registration page.
- Click “Register.”
- Enter your email and click “Next.”
- Click “Institutional Member – Regular” or “Institutional Member – Supporting” and click “Next.”
- Enter your information.
- Scroll down to Guests Registration.
- Click “Add Guest.”
- Enter guest registration information and click “Done.”
- Repeat for each additional guest.
- When all guests have been added, click “Next.”
- Review registrant information and click “Confirm.”